How to clean your mattress to get comfortable sleep?
As you know already, Singapore has a very humid climate. Unfortunately, this climate can be deteriorating especially when it comes to your mattress. Thus taking care of your mattress will allow you to use it longer and provide you with better sleep.
Cleaning a mattress isn’t the most intuitive task, but do not worry, we have gathered our best tips to best maintain a clean and comfortable sleep haven. We will explain everything to you!
Recommendations to follow before cleaning your mattress
When cleaning, avoid soaking the mattress, do not pour water but work with a sponge or washcloth soaked in liquid and wrung out. Proceed over the entire surface, if you only clean a few areas, you will create halos.
It is better to start cleaning early in the morning, in order to leave the mattress in the open air for as long as possible so that it has time to dry. Ventilate the room widely to evacuate humidity, and if you can let the sun in, that's even better!
How to get stains out of a mattress
1. Baking soda
- Dilute 3 glasses of baking soda in 1 litre of very hot water.
- Take household gloves and rub the entire mattress with a sponge, including the undamaged areas to avoid halos.
- Rinse the same with hot water then rub with washcloths or dry terry towels and let air dry.
- Once dried, you can use a vacuum to get rid of the baking soda left on the surface.
2. Dishwashing liquid
- Pour 10 drops of washing-up liquid into 1 litre of very hot water.
- Dip a washcloth in the liquid and scrub the entire surface of the mattress, wringing it well each time so as not to soak it.
- Rinse the washcloth regularly.
- Rub the mattress with dry terry towels and let air dry.
3. White vinegar (or rubbing alcohol)
- Mix 1 glass of white vinegar with 3 glasses of hot water and rub the mattress with this liquid.
- Then rinse with a damp cloth.
- Finally, rub with a dry cloth to remove as much moisture as possible and let air dry.
- Do the same with household alcohol, which most often has the merit of being perfumed.
How to remove bad odours from a mattress
- Smells of perspiration or cleaning product, the result is not pleasant.
- Sprinkle the entire surface of the mattress with baking soda (which has a sanitising power) and leave for 5-6 hours before removing as much as possible with a clean shovel and brush.
- Finish by vacuuming thoroughly.
- You can also use talc which has the advantage of leaving a sweet smell but without sanitising.